- Project Title:
- Kabul-Aybak/Mazar-e-Sharif Power Project
- Grant Amount:
- Approval Date:
- December 26, 2007
- Closing Date:
- March 31, 2013
The development objective of the project was to help provide reliable and quality power to the consumers in the target areas of the cities of Kabul, Aybak, and Mazar-e-Sharif.
The Project consisted of the following four components:
(i) The Distribution System Rehabilitation for Kabul: through the rehabilitation and extension of the distribution system to connect medium voltage (MV) trunk lines and cables to customers in Kabul; and reorganizing the existing distribution system to optimize loading to reduce losses and provide satisfactory power supply voltage to customers in Kabul.
(ii)The Establishment of a 220 kilovolt (kV) Substation at Aybak and Interconnection with Distribution System: through the establishment of a new 220/20kV, 16 Megavolt Amperes (MVA) substation at Aybak and 20kV interconnection with the existing Aybak distribution system.
(iii) Power System Rehabilitation for Mazar-e-Sharif: through the rehabilitation of the distribution system in Mazar-e-Sharif by upgrading the existing MV distribution network from 6kV to 20kV; connecting the distribution network to the 220/20kV substation; rehabilitating and replacing the low voltage distribution network; and upgrading the Mazar-e-Sharif substation capacity to meet the requirements of the distribution network.
(iv) Institutional Capacity Building: through the provision of capacity building and implementation support to MEW and DABM including for: (a) operation and maintenance of the distribution systems; (b) implementation of infrastructure metering and accounting of energy supplied in Kabul, Aybak and Mazar-e-Sharif, (c) establishment, operation and hand-over to DABM of customer care centers; (d) communication of Project plans to consumers; (e) Project management support; and (f) other capacity building needs identified during implementation.
- 1,219GWh increase in power supply to project areas in Kabul;
- 25% of Aybak population connected and provided power supply;
- 197 GWh increase in power supply to customers in Mazar-e-Sharif;
- Strengthened the low voltage (LV) distribution network in parts of Kabul supplied by Junction 2 as measured by number of transformers installed and commissioned:
- Strengthened the low voltage (LV) distribution network in parts of Mazar-e-Sharif City, and measured by the number of 20/0.4 kV transformers installed and commissioned;
- 220/20kV substation and associated 20kV lines at Aybak to provide quality, reliable and clean grid power to the residents of Aybak town constructed.