Active Portfolio Investment Projects
- Project Title:
- Afghanistan Agriculture Inputs Project
- Grant Amount:
- $74.75 million
- Approval Date:
- June 17, 2013
- Closing Date:
- June 30, 2018
The Project Development Objective of the Afghanistan Agriculture Inputs Project (AAIP) is to strengthen the institutional capacity for safety and reliability of agricultural inputs and sustainable production of certified wheat seed.
The chart above represents total allocations and disbursements during the lifetime of the project. To see the raw data behind this chart, go to the dataset and you will be directed to the World Bank Group Finances website. Once there, you can build your own views, share, embed, and download the data or your work. Read the instructions on how to build this chart from the raw data.
The Project: The project objective is being achieved through: (i) strengthening capacity in the value chain for producing certified wheat seed; (ii) preventing marketing of banned, hazardous, sub-standard, and unreliable pesticides and fertilizers; (iii) lowering the risk of introduction and spread of plant quarantine pests into the country; and (iv) improving farmers’ access to agricultural inputs of reliable quality.
• Increased wheat seed multiplication factors, ratio of foundation seed to breeder seed increased from 14 to 26, and ratio of registered seed to foundation seed increased from 9.6 to 23;
• Increase annual production of certified seed by Private Seed Enterprises from 24,000 to 30,000;
• Improved listing of plant quarantine pests and diseases;
• 180 product samples tested for pesticides residues;
• 105 bad pesticide samples intercepted by the end of the project.